Productivity is a white whale that almost everyone is constantly chasing – and few chase it harder than property management professionals. In this business, you must be able to work quickly and efficiently to satisfy the needs of your client and their tenants. This is the only way you’re able to scale your business, and means you will need to plan ahead, stick to schedule and get things done on time or better. Those that are highly successful have figured out how this is done.
Of course, it doesn’t stop there: if you are the owner or team leader of your firm, then you are also responsible for managing contractors, office staff, maintenance workers and other people under your company’s umbrella. All of a sudden, that white whale seems to have gotten scary big.
Nevertheless, productivity is what makes great management teams. It’s why your clients bring you on – and it can be the reason that they will keep you closer than a best-kept secret. If you want to get more work out of your workday, then consider these six productivity boosters that can help property management professionals shine.
- Clean your desk. This may seem uninspired – and sound like parental pestering – but your desk can be a surprising time-sink. It can be easy for something in sight to catch your eye – like the sticky note on the corner reminding you of an upcoming company function, or your cellphone next to your keyboard buzzing with a new email notification – and in the process draw your attention. Clear your desk space of anything that may pull you from the task at hand.
- Get together with your team. You’ve probably had days where it felt like everyone was going in every direction except the right one. Needless to say, this can be a draining experience – not to mention inefficient. A daily meeting can be a good way to make sure that the team is on the same page. Set aside time often to delegate tasks clearly so that your people know who is doing what. Always allow for questions and concerns to be addressed – the few minutes you spend handling them now can save you a lot of frustration and wasted effort later.
- One thing at a time. Jumping between tasks until they are finished is not as conducive as it may seem – in fact, it’s downright counterproductive. You’re mentally trying to keep up with the five or six things in front of you, which is akin to taking playing a shell game and looking away every couple of minutes. Focusing on one task at a time puts less stress on you mentally, reducing the odds of you mixing things up and making mistakes.
- Breathe. No matter how efficient or fast you are at your job, there will be times when things won’t go your way. The challenges of the job can be overwhelming for property management professionals, and that can take up a lot of space in your head. If it does, it will affect your work – and not in a good way. Remember to take a step back from time to time, close your eyes and breathe. If you stay mentally healthy and strong, then no bad day can destroy you – and your work quality will improve.
- Make lists. This goes along with many of the aforementioned items. The overall objective is the same though. By making lists you’re able to clear your mind of all the things you need to do so you can focus on the task at hand most effectively and efficiently. There are a number of methodologies out there that all generally entail a listing method of some sort. To find the method that works best for you, you may need to go through some trial and error. But ultimately, getting those nagging to-do items out of your head will allow you to focus and be more productive overall.
Getting the most out of the day is one skill that property management professionals can’t succeed without. With these productivity-boosting tips under your belt, that white whale won’t seem so big the next time you look at it.