This week in rental property, we look at litigation. Last week, an article (2nd link) followed the controversial litigation coined as rent control. Our first link below follows this topic in Santa Monica. Our next link follows an interesting tenant-landlord relationship, where a NY landlord sues a tenant for subletting his property on Airbnb without permission. Speaking of the tenant-landlord relationship, The Burlington Press bring news of a new piece of litigation in Vermont, that “would require tenants to obtain their landlord’s permission before subletting a dwelling.” Our fourth article looks at time management for landlords. Sometimes it is beneficial to hire a property management company. Could you optimize your time by outsourcing these tasks? Finally, as Spring begins to settle in, Summer dwells on the horizon. Orange County Breeze sends a friendly reminder of the increase in rental scams during the summer months.
- This week in Santa Monica the rent board is seeking stricter rent buyout policies. Could this be the change the rent control system needs?:http://smdp.com/rent-board-seeks-stricter-buyout-policies/146040
- Lawyer up! New York is notorious for having lots of people, and therefore, many lawsuits. This landlord has decided that he needs to take his tenant to court for posting his property on airbnb:http://nypost.com/2015/03/19/landlord-sues-rent-stabilized-tenant-for-subletting-on-airbnb/
- Should tenants need permission from their landlord to sublease to another tenant? Is more litigation necessary to strengthen the tenant-landlord relationship in Vermont? This article presents an interesting point of view:http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/16/landlord-tenant-bill/70298474/
- Having trouble keeping up with your units? Maybe you’re just looking to free up some time to pursue more units. The website mlive.com shares their 5 benefits of hiring a property manager below:http://www.mlive.com/business-resource-center/2015/03/benefits_of_hiring_a_property.html
- Don’t be a victim! Watch out for scammers, and keep tabs on your properties. More information on Summer scams in the article listed here:http://www.oc-breeze.com/2015/03/20/68894_huntington-beach-pd-warns-about-rental-property-fraud/